Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My Time as a Proverbs 31:13 Woman

"She seeketh wool and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."
Proverbs 31:13


Well, let me start off by saying that I didn't think I would have to worry about the "seeking" part of this verse...there is always something to be done around here! It seems like the "To Do List" is neverending most days and it can get pretty exhausting. The part of the verse that I really focused on was the word "willingly". When it was time to start my day, I made sure to pray for the strength to willingly do what was needed around the house and not do it begrudgingly. When it was time to make dinner, I happily made dinner for my family. When it was time to clean up the toys (for the bazillionth time), I tried to make it fun with the kids instead of doing it just because I wanted it done. When Rick wanted to go out with the guys, I let him go...even though I hate when he leaves me and I usually try to guilt him into staying home with me, even though I am just going to bed! He deserves a night out with friends though, he works hard and needs the guy time.

But then I remembered what "seeking" meant (to search thoroughly, to search EVERY PLACE) and I realized I was only looking at my little bubble of what needed to be done. I wasn't thinking about others that could need something and perhaps I was too busy with my own "stuff" that I overlooked it. One of my friends said she went to visit two stay-at-home Mom's this past week as part of her challenge. She was most definitely seeking out other's who needed help or company and I'm sure those Mom's were blessed to have her help and company for a while. I was encouraged by that and I will continue to look outside of myself and see what I can do for others and maybe show them a glimpse of God's love for them by my actions. Maybe I will visit them, or make a meal for someone, or send a note of encouragement, or just spend some time in prayer for them.

What about you? Did this verse challenge you in any ways?

(I have some more research that I need to do for Challenge #5, I hope to post that one in a day or two.)

1 comment:

  1. This is something that I have been working on for about a month. Looking outside of myself to be an encouragement to others. When I needed someone to encourage me, nobody was there because they were all wrapped up in their own lives and it made me real bitter about it. But I am only responsible for my decisions, no one else's.You know that famous quote..."be the change you wish to see in the world"? That has become my lifelong mission. And I am going to put that goal into action. I am just trying to figure out how.

    ReplyDelete